Saturday, December 7, 2013

Chicken Wire Christmas Tree

 

Whew! I just got back from Open House at the Antique Mall and I'm pooped! It was loads of fun to see how everyone " dressed " their booths for the holidays! Naturally, I had to get in on the action too.I wanted to do something a little less traditional in my booth. I wanted a FRESH vintage vibe so I made a Christmas Tree out of chicken wire and decorated it with burlap garland, vintage lace, vintage postcards, and holiday hankies! 



 I used wooden clothespins to " hang"  the post cards and hankies to the wire. 

Isn't this Poinsettia hankie lovely? It's from my mother in law's collection.

  I made the top out of a small bunch of dried Hydrangeas from my garden and more burlap and lace! It came together sort of willy- nilly but I think it works!


This part of the post won't make it into Artful Blogging Magazine but I wanted you to see that I used a tomato cage for the inside structure of the tree. I wrapped the chicken wire around the tomato cage by laying the cage on it's side and rolling the wire around the cage until it was entirely covered. Because the shape of the cage isn't the same width from top to bottom I had some spots with overlapped wire which I cut to size with wire cutters. To attach the pieces I used the needle nose pliers and my fingers to pinch it all together. Kind of a crude tutorial I know, but it's not fine art folks!


It was a fun project and something I can continue to use for display in my booth as the seasons change.

 And, if you didn't catch my Beach Farmgirl Blog this week I'm sharing my Christmas Holiday Mason Jar Project with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!



 Here's to " making" a wonderful Christmas!

8 comments:

Deb said...

Your tree is really cute, Deb. I love to see old vintage Christmas postcards used as decorations. Deb

Michelle said...

I have seen the chicken wire Christmas trees before but never with the vintage Christmas cards. I have to say this one is my favorite.

daisy g said...

What a great idea! I think I have some chicken wire left. Thanks for the inspiration. I think I'll do something with it. Have a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

That is a great idea!! I love it! and the clothes pins are perfect! Burlap is one of my favorite things right now too.

Unknown said...

I love that tree! And I just happen to have supplies to make one of my own :) . I think I'll put mine in the dining room and clip cinnamon stars and recipes on it ... or little spice packets, or tea bags .... so many ways to decorate a tree like that one. Thanks for sharing your creative gift, Deb. You inspire me to get busy creating as well!
Blessings,
Catherine

Tilly's Nest said...

You are amazing my friend! Love to you and the family!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That came out so cute! I was going to make a tomato cage Christmas tree for my dining room and just never was able to gather enough energy to actually do it :)

Can you believe Christmas is almost here! I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and all the best in the new year!

Vickie @ makingoursustainablelife.com said...

So cute - and I think I could actually (maybe) make this! Thanks for the idea and instructions! Catherine Love (comment above) had such a cute idea - clip some tea bags on it! That would be great during a christmas party - just keep the kettle hot and let everyone choose their own tea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...