Monday, April 2, 2012

Mysterious Mini- Eggs


 In the seven years we have been keeping backyard chickens I've never seen an egg as small as the two pictured above. Not in our nesting boxes anyway. Our daughter did a Google search for tiny eggs and here is what we learned about these mysterious mini-eggs!
 One of your hens may be very young. For the first few weeks pullets are beginning to adjust their internal " egg factory". They can produce thumb sized eggs called peewee Eggs. They are perfectly good to eat, but usually have no yoke and sometimes these small " practice eggs " are  are empty. It's possible a bantam breed of pullet will also lay pee wee eggs.


Naturally we had to crack them open and see for ourselves. They were yoke-less but not empty. Each egg did have egg whites. One thing we are sure of is that it is most likely one chicken laying the peewee eggs. They are both the same color and Easter Egger's lay the same color egg all the time. Peewee eggs can also be used for pickling. Typically a peewee egg weighs around 42 grams. Peewee eggs are generally not sold in groceries or supermarkets but are often given to bakeries and other establishments involved in food processing.

 For more backyard chicken info go to here to read up on Chick Days at your local TSC ( Tractor Supply Company )


I'm linking this post to a darling blog I just discovered!  Little Farm in the Big City






25 comments:

Loraine said...

We had a chicken that laied a few of these too. They kept getting a little bigger each time. But they all had yolks. My kids would fight over who get's a mini fried egg that morning.

Unknown said...

Loraine, In the early spring our newest girls laid smaller eggs too ( with yokes) These are by far the smallest we've seen! It will be interesting to watch and see if it stops soon!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

How cool! I've never seen such mini eggs!

Unknown said...

I know, they are mini!!!

Kathy Burton said...

I am loving reading about your chickens! I want to get some for my backyard but I'm 99.9% sure that's going to be a 2013 project and this year will be all about learning how to take care of them and getting the things I need in order. Thanks for sharing!!

Nancy Jo said...

Learn something every day. I grew up on a farm and didn't know this.
My order from Mountain Rose is coming today, can't wait.
Nancy Jo

Country Gal said...

learn a new thing every day ! Banty hens also lay smaller eggs , we used to raise both laying hens and Banty's ! . Great post and photo, Have a good day !

The Southern Peach-Girls said...

haha! We have had quite a few mysterious peewee eggs around here, too! They are so cute and tiny! Thanks for commenting on my blog!

-Bella Hope!

The Southern Peach-Girls said...

Also Tahnks so much for following me, too!

-Bella Hope!

Unknown said...

Good for you Kathy! You'll love keeping chickens!

Unknown said...

Oh great! Can't wait to hear how you like the products!

Unknown said...

when our girls first started laying in late January their eggs were much smaller than normal too, but none were like the peewee eggs!

Unknown said...

Hi Bella!
So you've seen these little eggs too huh? Nice to see young farmgirls like your self blogging... You're doing a wonderful job!

Brenda said...

I get these once in a while. Usually it seems as though it is after one of my hens has finished her molt and starts laying again. One of my Easter Egg chickens laid a couple this spring and then back to normal. Had a couple last fall. Tried to blow the insides out to keep the eggs. Broke one but still have the other. I think they are so cute.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I've seen them when they first start laying but just today we got one and they are all 2 years old. But, we just moved their coop a couple days ago (while they were in it) so I'm thinking there was a bit of trauma going on! LOL

Unknown said...

Oh wow! I have never seen those before. Most likely, if I had, I would have FREAKED! I probably would have thought that some other animal had made itself comfortable in our nesting boxes LOL!

- Cassandra ♥

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Hi Deb, I have had some of those cute little eggs and like yours they only have white..

Unknown said...

Hi Dolly,
I'm having fun reading that so many of you have experienced having these peewee eggs!

Unknown said...

LOL! I have to say, we were pretty surprised to find them too!

Unknown said...

Oh, could be Cheree! Ours have been laying for a while too so I thought it was strange that all of a sudden we had peewees'. but, we have nine hens and we weren't getting 9 eggs a day. So may one of the new girls is just slow to start!

Unknown said...

Hi Brenda,
They are cute... I saved the egg whites... I'll bake with them or toss them into some scrambled eggs! That would have been neat to save the egg too!

Robyn said...

Deborah

My hens will lay peewee eggs once in a while. They are much smaller than the ones you pictured. They are closer to a man's thumb nail size and more round v. egg shaped.

I just figure my good layers are having an off day. Don't we all?

Kanelstrand said...

Wow. I didn't know there were yokeless eggs. Though I've seen such with two yokes! So interesting!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah... we've had those two yolkers too every now and then. Talk about HUGE! Poor girls!!

Beth in NC said...

Wow,we never had any eggs that small. Interesting! However, I have two Ameraucana chicks -- so we will see what happens! :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...