Thursday, July 7, 2011

Farmgirl Friday blog hop # 15


Welcome to Farmgirl Friday blog hop # 15! Once again we had 39 amazing entries last week. Will we top 40 this time? I so enjoyed getting around to some of your posts. I wish I could visit all of you, but Summer is here and my pitchfork calls me away from the computer quite often these days.

 Last week my farmgirl pals and I  went on a " farmgirl " field trip to the Green Briar Jam Kitchen in Sandwich, MA. We learned to make Rhubarb Date Apricot Chutney in a 100 year old jam kitchen where " farmgirl" Ida Putnam  invited people into her kitchen to teach them how to make jams, jellies and chutneys. The kitchen is a " living museum " and the most charming place to learn the ins and outs of jam making. Really, I just wanted to saw off that porch for starters, bring it home and add it on to the side of my house... The kitchen? Well, that goes without saying. How fun would it be to have this kitchen, surrounded by people in the joys of making jam? I'd say Ida was a pretty lucky and enterprising farmgirl wouldn't you?


Everything was laid out for us when we arrived. The Rhubarb, Dates, Apricots and Onion were clean and ready for chopping. Once we were done  chopping and slicing we were instructed to pour our mixture into the pot sitting on the  gas stove. Inside each pot was 1/2 a cup of apple cider ( a natural thickening agent ).Once it was boiled down we poured the mixture into small sanitized jars through a large mouth funnel. The jars were sterilized again then we were given our labels and 6 jars each of the most delicious chutney I've ever tasted. We were amazed at how easy it was!


RHUBARB DATE & APRICOT CHUTNEY    
4 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup chopped dried dates
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/ 2 cup apple cider    
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped ginger
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 pickling salt                                  

Combine all ingredients into pan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and cook gently, stirring frequently. Chutney is done when onion is transparent, fruit is soft and liquid is thickened. Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes. Ladle into sterilized jars and seal.

Yield: 4 to 6 ( 6) oz. jars

Chutney is a wonderful compliment to baked fish and it's terrific on a plain bagel with cream cheese for breakfast or a light lunch!


Now it's your turn to link up for YOUR weekly dose of farmgirl soul-food!


Here are the rules for the Farmgirl Friday blog hop:

1.) Write a post about your farmgirl lifestyle and brag a little about your farmgirl talents while your at it! Share what being a farmgirl means to you. Include lots of photos of your farm, crafts, animals, quilts, home decor projects and thrifty make overs, your backyard garden, hen house, studio or workshop. You get the idea!
2). Leave a permalink in the Mr. Linky space to your Farmgirl Friday post.
3). Please include the Farmgirl Friday button ( or link back here ) in your post.

 Welcome new subscribers and friends! Thanks for all you share!  Keep that farmgirl soul-food comin'!

Be sure to stop by my MJF Beach Blog. I'm talkin' bout Farmgirl Summer Soulfood!

 I love your notes! Farmgirl hugs! 




15 comments:

Teresa said...

I just love that kitchen! So amazing, and it looks like quite the fun time.

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

Looks like a great way to spend a fun farmgirl day out...That sure is some kitchen...Glad I don't have to clean it hehe.

Blessings Kelsie

Katie Riddle said...

What a FUN outing! I can't lie, I'm just a lil jealous. ;) Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks divine.

Alana Jo said...

Wow. That is a great kitchen. I'd love to visit there. What a great experience.

Dicky Bird said...

I accidently posted 2x to link. Sorry, I still get confused as to how to link up.

Candy C. said...

Looks like ya'll had a great time! Wish I could have been there, if it wasn't so far away! LOL!!

Nicole said...

Oh how fun is that!!! We need something like that in my neck of the woods!

Allison said...

MMM! thanks for sharing the recipe! sounds so yummy!

gtyyup said...

That looked like so much fun!!! I've still got rhubarb...I might have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing...and thanks for hosting the blog hop!

Farmchick said...

Thanks for hosting. :) I decided to play along today. Hoping you can join my bloghop today also. :) Would love to have you. Stop by and say hi too.

Anonymous said...

I need to find me some farm girl pals to do day trips with. Looks like more fun than field trips back in our school days.

Thanks for hosting!

Unknown said...

You're so lucky to have access to such fun things like that. Around here, it just doesn't exist. So I'll live vicariously through you!

Faye Henry said...

Oh thank you so much for the recipe.. I really needed a good chutney recipe to sell in my shop..
Blessings..

Lynn said...

Your chutney sounds great and I'll bet it was a fun day:@)

Life-n-Reflection said...

That sounds delightful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...